Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Jayanti:
Prime Minister paid homage to Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, the classical music vocalist, on his centenary birth anniversary.
- Pandit Bhimsen Joshi was born on February 4, 1922.
- He received the Bharat Ratna in 2008.
- He is remembered for his famous ragas including Shuddha Kalyan, Miyan Ki Todi, Puriya Dhanashri and Multani etc.
- He belonged to the Kirana Gharana.
- Kirana Gharana got its name from a small town called Kerana in Uttar Pradesh.
- It was founded by Ustad Abdul Karim Khan.
- Famous artists such as Abdul Wahid Khan, Suresh Babu Mane, Hira Bai Badodekar, and Roshanara Begum belong to this Gharana.
- He belonged to the school of Hindustani classical music.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking