World Cities Day 2022:
World Cities Day is celebrated on 31st October every year to highlight the need for international cooperation to promote global urbanisation and address its challenges.
- According to the United Nations, seven of every 10 people in the world will live in cities by 2050.
- Theme for 2022: Act Local to Go Global.
- On 27th December 2013, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) established World Cities Day through a resolution.
- The first celebration took place in 2014.
- The second United Nations Conference on Human Settlements in 1976 influenced the UNGA’s decision to establish World Cities Day.
- The UN-Habitat programme promotes the development of sustainable cities in line with SDG 11 goals.
- The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations agency for human settlements and sustainable urban development.
- It conducts the annual Urban October programme for this purpose which begins on the first Monday of the month and ends on 31st October with World Cities Day.