World Ocean Day 2023:
World Oceans Day is celebrated every year on 8 June to create awareness among people regarding the significance of oceans, and the importance of preserving and conserving oceanic resources.
- “Planet Ocean: tides are changing,” is the theme for World Oceans Day 2023.
- The ocean covers over 70% of the planet.
- The ocean produces at least 50% of the planet’s oxygen, it is home to most of earth’s biodiversity, and is the main source of protein for more than a billion people around the world.
- The ocean is also key to our economy with an estimated 40 million people being employed by ocean-based industries by 2030.
- Even with all its benefits, the ocean is now in need of support.
- With 90% of big fish populations depleted, and 50% of coral reefs destroyed, we are taking more from the ocean than can be replenished.