The Chinese navy is reportedly testing the planet’s most powerful coil gun
- Coil Guns is a type of electromagnetic weapon capable of launching projectiles with extremely high speed in the blink of an eye.
- They are also known as Gauss guns or magnetic accelerators.
- It operates on the principle of electromagnetic induction, applying the principles of electromagnetism to propel a projectile.
- Coil guns feature a series of coils arranged along the barrel of the gun, each one constituting a stage.
- Each coil is energised one after another to create a magnetic field that can levitate and propel a projectile forward.
- The projectile typically stays suspended in the centre of the coil during launch.
- The larger a coil gun, the better its ability to fire projectiles similar to those fired by traditional artillery.
- The projectile used in a coil gun is typically a ferrous or magnetic object, such as a steel ball or a specially designed ferromagnetic projectile.
- This projectile needs to have magnetic properties to interact with the electromagnetic fields generated by the coils.