Continuously Operating Reference Stations (CORS) Network:
The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology launched the state-of-the-art National Survey network of Continuously Operating Reference Stations” (CORS).
- It is capable of precise Location based services, which are capable of providing centimetre level positioning services in real-time
- These stations will be operated by the Survey of India.
- The Survey of India has set up more than 1,000 CORS stations across India.
- These stations are capable of providing Real Time Positioning Service.
- The CORS network is available 24 /7 throughout the year.
- CORS based precision services will boost auto navigation and machine control-based solution in Agriculture, Mining, Construction, Transport and Civil Aviation sector.
- This will open new domains of innovation and research and create a Geospatial based ecosystem in these sectors.
- CORS data will also aid in various scientific studies like Upper Atmosphere and Space weather studies, Meteorology and weather forecast, Plate motion and Tectonic studies, Seismology and Hydrology etc.