Doppler Weather Radar Network:
On the occasion of the 148th Foundation Day of India, the Meteorological Department (IMD) Union Minister of Earth science said the entire Country will be covered by Doppler Weather Radar Network by 2025.
- The Union Minister dedicated 4 Doppler Weather Radar Systems to the Western Himalayan States of Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh. He also dedicated 200 Agro Automated Weather Stations to the Nation.
- Radars is a beam of energy, called radio waves, emitted from an antenna.
- As they strike objects in the atmosphere, the energy is scattered in all directions with some of the energy reflected directly back to the radar.
- A Doppler radar is a specialized radar that uses the Doppler effect to produce velocity data about objects at a distance.
- These radar systems can provide information regarding the movement of targets as well as their position.
- Doppler radars help forecasters to observe rainfall, and the advance of cloud formations over a region and subsequently monitor thunderstorms and lightning in real time.