FIFA To Suspend All Russian Teams:
On February 28, 2022, FIFA and UEFA decided to indefinitely suspend all Russian teams, whether national representative teams or club teams, from participation in all competitions run by the two football bodies.
- FIFA, Fédération Internationale de Football Association in French, is the highest global governing body of football (also known as soccer to distinguish it from American football), the world’s most popular game.
- FIFA is also the international governing body for futsal (a kind of mini football played indoors on a hard court between two teams of five players each) and beach soccer (five-a-side, played on a beach).
- FIFA is responsible for organising and promoting football’s major international tournaments, most importantly the football World Cup, which began in 1930, and the Women’s World Cup which began in 1991.
- The membership of FIFA now comprises 211 national football associations around the world.
- FIFA, which is headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, supports these national associations financially and logistically through various programmes.
- The FIFA Congress is the supreme legislative body of FIFA, in which each of the 211 members of the organisation has a vote. The Congress ordinarily meets annually.