National Conference Of Women Legislators:
The two-day National Conference of Women Legislators has been inaugurated on 26th May 2022 by President Ram Nath Kovind in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. Arif Mohammed Khan, the governor of Kerala presided over the inaugural session at the Kerala Legislative Assembly Complex.
- This event will be drawing a large number of female legislators and parliamentarians from across the country.
- This is the first-ever such event that is being hosted by the Kerala state Assembly.
- It is in line with the central government’s Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav honouring the 75th independence anniversary of the country.
- At this conference, various sessions will be held that are based on themes vital to the country’s women legislators.
- The conference will also be focusing on various modern issues like:
- gender equality
- women’s rights
- female representation in the decision-making bodies of the nation
- The conference will be having sessions on:
- Constitution and Women’s Rights: In this session, the speakers will include Lok Sabha MP Kanimozhi, Gujarat Assembly Speaker Nimaben Acharya, and former Rajya Sabha member Brinda Karat, and former Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
- Role of Women in India’s Freedom Struggle: The panelists for this session will include MPs Jebi Methar and Supriya Sule and former MP Subhashini Ali.
- Women’s Rights and Legal Gaps- The panelists for this session are MP Jaya Bachchan, West Bengal minister Shashi Panja, Justice Anu Sivaraman of Kerala High Court, and Delhi Assembly deputy speaker Rakhi Birla.
- Under Representation of Women in Decision Making Bodies- This is the last session of this conference at it will include Telangana MLC Kavitha Kalvakuntla, Uttarakhand Assembly Speaker Ritu Khanduri, and Annie Raja, the general secretary of the National Federation of India Women.