Nikshay Poshan Yojna:
Only two-thirds of people living with tuberculosis benefitted from the Union government’s Nikshay Poshan Yojana (NPY), sole nutrition support scheme, in 2021, which raises major public health concern.
- The NPY was launched in 2018 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- It aims to support every Tuberculosis (TB) Patient by providing a Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) of Rs 500 per month for nutritional needs.
- Since its inception around Rs 1,488 crore has been paid to 5.73 million notified beneficiaries.
- As per India TB Report 2022, only 62.1 % of 2.1 million notified cases across the country received at least one payment in 2021.
- In Delhi, which has the highest burden of all forms of TB at 747 cases per 100,000 people, only 30.2 % of patients have got at least one DBT.
- Other poor performers are Punjab, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Bihar, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. In the North East, Manipur and Meghalaya fared the worst.