Pink Bollworm : Damage To Cotton Fields
The Pink Bollworm (PBW) is causing significant damage to cotton fields in northern Rajasthan, Haryana, and Southwestern Punjab, with the infestation being more widespread and serious than before.
- Farmers have been using Bt cotton seeds, which have lost their effectiveness against the PBW.
- The situation has led to a drastic reduction in cotton yields, making it financially unviable for many farmers.
- The pink bollworm (Pectinophora gossypiella) is an insect that is a pest in cotton farming.
- It is native to Asia but has become an invasive species in most cotton-growing countries around the world.
- It is considered possibly the most destructive pest on cotton worldwide.