An innovative project for skill training of construction workers called ‘NIPUN’ i.e. National Initiative for Promoting Upskilling of Nirman Workers was launched.
- NIPUN is creating a future labour force for the construction industry which will propel innovation and large-scale development in the country.
- The construction sector is on track to become the largest employer by 2022, and it will require 45 million more qualified workers over the next ten years.
- The basic motive of the project is to train over 1 lakh construction workers, through fresh skilling and upskilling programmes.
- The project NIPUN is an initiative of the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- This project is running under the flagship programme of the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM)
- The transformational impact of the National Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM) has reduced the vulnerability of urban poor households by providing upskilling and employment opportunities to urban dwellers, especially the youth.
- Implementing Agency:
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
- NSDC is the nodal agency and workers under the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE).
- NSDC will be responsible for the overall execution of training, monitoring and candidate tracking.