Tragedy In Morbi:
More than 141 people lost their lives when the cable bridge over the Machhu river collapsed in Morbi, Gujarat.
- Morbi is a major hub of small and medium industry and India’s ceramics factory.
- The more than a century old bridge across the Machchhu river has long been a major tourist attraction.
- This district is flanked by Kutch district in the north, Surendranagar district in the east, Rajkot district in the south, and Jamnagar district in the west.
- Morbi is famous for its ceramic industry.
- The district is dotted by several hundred ceramic producing factories, mainly medium and small scale units.
- Around 70 per cent of India’s ceramics are produced in Morbi, and ceramic tiles manufactured here are exported to countries in the Middle East, East Asia, and Africa.
- Machchhu is a small river that rises in the Madla Hills and flows 130 km into the Rann of Kutch.