Tungnath Temple : Monument Of National Importance
The central government recently issued a notification declaring the ancient temple of Tungnath as a monument of national importance.
- Tungnath Temple is located in Rudraprayag District, Uttarakhand.
- It is the highest Shiva temple in the world nestled at an altitude of 3680 meters.
- It is one of the Panch Kedars and is believed to have belonged to an ancient era almost 1000 years old.
- It was built in the North Indian style of architecture and has a dozen shrines of other Gods surrounding the temple.
- Panch Kedar is a group of five sacred shrines of Lord Shiva located in the Garhwal Himalayas, Uttarakhand.
- The five temples are the Kedarnath Temple , the Tungnath Temple, the Rudranath Temple, the Madhyamaheshwar Temple or Madmaheshwar and the Kalpeshwar Temple.