US Congressional Report On Terrorism:
The US Congressional report on terrorism stated that Pakistan is home to at least 12 groups designated as Foreign Terrorist Organisation (FTO).
- The report named Terrorist and Other Militant Groups in Pakistan, released by the bipartisan research wing of US Congress in the Quad summit 2021.
- Earlier, in February 2021, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) had decided to retain Pakistan on the greylist.
- Pakistan has continued to serve as a safe haven for certain regionally focused terrorist groups, and has allowed groups targeting Afghanistan as well as groups targeting India to operate from its territory.
- Pakistan’s neighbours, including Afghanistan and India, and the US have long accused Islamabad of providing safe haven and support to militants.
- The groups operating in Pakistan can be broadly categorised into five types:
- Afghanistan oriented
- India- and Kashmir-oriented
- Domestically oriented
- Sectarian (anti-Shia).