Veer Bal Diwas : 26th December
Prime Minister of India had recently announced that 26th December will be observed as ‘Veer Bal Diwas’, to mark the martyrdom of Sri Guru Gobind Singh’s sons.
- On December 26, 1707, Sahibzada Zorawar Singh and Sahibzada Fateh Singh attained martyrdom when they were executed on the orders of Aurangzeb.
- Guru Gobind Singh was the 10th Sikh guru.
- He became the Sikh guru at the age of nine, following the demise of his father, Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth Sikh Guru.
- Also known for his significant contributions to the Sikh religion, including the introduction of the turban to cover hair.
- He is renowned for founding the principles of Khalsa or the Five ‘K’s i.e kesh (uncut hair), kanga (wooden comb), kara (iron or steel bracelet), kirpan (dagger) and kachera (short breeches).
- He fought against the Mughals later in the battle of Muktsar in 1705.
- Guru Gobind Singh was killed by a Mughal assassin in 1708, a year after the death of Aurangzeb.