Vijayanagara: The 31st District Of Karnataka:
The Karnataka Government recently notified that, the Vijayanagara has become the 31st district of Karnataka officially. The district has its headquarter at Hosapete.
- Vijayanagara is located in the Hyderabad-Karnataka region.
- The district also is home to UNESCO World Heritage sites namely the Hampi and Virupaksha Temple.
- Vijayanagara district has been named after the capital of the Vijayanagar Empire.
- The district was established out of the ore-rich Ballari district in accordance with the Karnataka Land Revenue Act, 1964.
- The district will comprise of six taluks namely the Hosapete, kotturu, Kudligi, Hagaribommanahalli, Harapanahalli, and Hoovina Hadagali.
- The Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa had announced his plan of creating a new Vijayanagara district in the month of September 2019.
- The Chief Minister had cited it is required to create a new district for administrative reasons.
- He was of the view that the creation of the new district will help in promoting tourism to the places like Hampi temple.
- He also said the move will help in the development of six talukas that are part of the district.
- Thus, the Karnataka Cabinet formally approved the creation of a new Vijayanagara district on November 18, 2020.