Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog (RKA):
Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog (RKA) had recently canceled its “indigenous cow science” examination after widespread criticism about its promotion of fake claims and pseudoscience.
- Now, the Animal Husbandry Department has said that RKA had “no mandate” to conduct such an examination.
- The RKA had announced a national “Kamdhenu Gau Vigyan Prachar Prasar Exam” to be held on February 25.
- Reference materials for the exam made a number of unscientific claims, including that the dung of indigenous cows protected against radioactivity, their milk had traces of gold, and that cow slaughter caused earthquakes.
- The RKA had the backing of the University Grants Commission (UGC), which publicized the examination, causing widespread outrage.
About the Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog:
- Constituted in 2019, the Aayog is a high-powered permanent apex advisory body with the mandate to help the Central Government to develop appropriate programs for conservation, sustainable development, and genetic up-gradation of indigenous breeds of cows.
- It comes under the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry, and Dairying.
- Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog will function as an integral part of the Rashtriya Gokul Mission.