1st Country To Approve Omicron Vaccine : UK
The United Kingdom has authorized the first ever covid-19 vaccine for Omicron variant. It is the first country to do so. Authorization of vaccine will now pave ways for autumn booster campaign using two-strain shot of Moderna.
- Conditional authorisation for the vaccine was granted by “Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority”.
- It was also the first authority worldwide, to approve the original Covid-19 vaccine.
- Authorized vaccine caters to original as well as Omicron BA.1 strain of the coronavirus.
- It has been authorised for use among people aged above 18.
- Now UK will focus on its booster programme for people aged over 50 and who are highly vulnerable to developing Covid.
Omicron Variant: Omicron B.1.1.529 is a variant of SARS-CoV-2.