Awaous Motla : New Freshwater Fish Species
Researchers discover new freshwater fish species ‘Awaous Motla’ in Odisha’s Mahanadi River.
- A group of scientists has discovered that an edible freshwater fish, available in the markets of western Odisha, is actually an unregistered species.
- Awaous Motla species belongs to the family ‘Awaous’ (Oxudercidae), thus named Awaous motla and ‘motla’ by fishermen.
- The fish has a vibrant yellow-coloured body and a fleshy upper lip.
- It was Can be consumed both fresh and dried.
- It was discovered from the Mahanadi River.
- It is one of the major east-flowing peninsular rivers in India.
- The river originates from the Sihawa range of hills in the Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh state.