Canary Islands : More Than 30 Migrants Dead
A boat tragedy occurred recently, around the Canary Islands in Spain.
- More than 30 migrants are feared dead after a small boat headed for Spain’s Canary Islands sank.
- Neither Spanish nor Moroccan authorities have confirmed about how many people had been on board the vessel or how many might be missing.
- Located in Atlantic Ocean.
- It is an archipelago which is a group or chain of islands that are closely scattered in a body of water, such as a sea, ocean, lake, or river.
- It is about 1300 km South of mainland Spain and 115 km West of the African coast (Morocco).
- The Canaries comprise the Spanish provinces of:-
- Las Palmas and
- Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
- These Islands were formed by volcanic eruptions millions of years ago.
- They have a subtropical climate.
- Temperatures are warm and show little seasonal variation.
- It has rich volcanic soils and mild temperatures that support a wide variety of vegetation.