Ceasefire Between Israel And Palestine:
After three days of violence between Israel and Palestine, which resulted in killing of dozens of populations in both the countries, a ceasefire took place recently.
- Earlier this year as well, tensions flared up at Jerusalem’s al-Aqsa Mosque between the Palestinians and Israeli police.
- These recurring clashes are part of the ongoing Israeli–Palestinian conflict.
Reason for Conflict:
- Israeli aircraft targets (Islamic Jihad Leaders) in Gaza.
- In response, Iran-backed Palestinian Jihad militant group fired hundreds of rockets at Israel.
- Islamic Jihad has fewer fighters and supporters than Hamas.
- Israel launched its operation with a strike on a leader of the Islamic Jihad, and followed up on with another targeted strike on a second prominent leader.
- As per the Israeli army, militants in Gaza fired about 580 rockets toward Israel.
- Israel had intercepted many of them, with two of those shot down being fired toward Jerusalem.
- The U.N. Security Council scheduled an emergency meeting on the violence.
- China, which holds the council presidency for August 2022, scheduled the session in response to a request from the United
- Arab Emirates, which represents Arab nations on the council, as well as China, France, Ireland and Norway.