Covid-19 Delta Plus Variant:
The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), has warned people against the new Covid-19 strain ‘Delta Plus’ (DP).
- There is fear that this new variant may spark the third wave of Covid-19.
- Delta plus (B.1.617.2.1/(AY.1) is a new variant of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus formed due to a mutation in the Delta strain of the virus (B.1.617.2 variant).
- It is technically the next generation of SARS-COV-2.
- This mutant of Delta was first detected in Europe in March 2021.
- The Delta variant that was first detected in India (in February 2021) eventually became a huge problem for the whole world.
- However, the Delta Plus variant, at present, is limited to smaller areas in the country.
- It is resistant to monoclonal antibodies cocktail.
- Since it’s a new variant, its severity is still unknown.
- People reported symptoms like headaches, sore throats, runny noses, and fever.
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) is tracking this variant as part of the Delta variant, it is doing so for other Variants of Concern with additional mutations.
- Transmissibility: It has acquired the spike protein mutation called K417N which is also found in the Beta variant first identified in South Africa.
- The spike protein is used by SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes Covid-19, to enter the host cells.
- Some scientists fear that the mutation combined with other existing features of the Delta variant could make it more transmissible.