The final blast for the 980-metre long Sela Tunnel (Tunnel 1) was conducted by Director General Border Roads (DGBR). This marks the culmination of the excavation works on the complete Sela Tunnel Project.
- The Sela Tunnel Project is located in the West Kameng District of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Once completed, it will be a lifeline as it will provide all weather connectivity to Tawang.
- The project comprises of Tunnel 1, which is a 980 m long single tube tunnel and Tunnel 2, which is a 1555 m long twin tube tunnel.
- Tunnel 2 has one bi-lane tube for traffic and one escape tube for emergencies.
- It will also be one of the longest tunnels to have been constructed above altitude of 13,000 feet.
- The project also includes construction of an approach road of seven kilometres to Tunnel 1, which takes off from BCT Road and a link road of 1.3 kilometres, which connects Tunnel 1 to Tunnel 2.
- The foundation stone of the Sela Tunnel Project was laid by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi in 2019.