First National Conference On The Promotion Of Seaweed Cultivation:
The first National Conference on the Promotion of Seaweed Cultivation took place at Koteshwar, Kutch in Gujarat.
- It was chaired by Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Shri Parshottam Rupala .
- Implementing seaweed cultivation on a pan-India basis, emphasizing the promotion of seaweed cultivation to diversify marine production and enhance fish farmer income.
- Seaweed is the name given to the many species of marine algae and plants.
- These species grow in water bodies such as rivers, seas and oceans.
- They generally grow in the shallow waters in the tidal zone.
- Some seaweeds are microscopic, such as the phytoplankton that live suspended in the water column.
- Seaweed is full of vitamins, minerals, & fibre.
- Many seaweeds contain anti-inflammatory & anti-microbial agents.
- They are known to process significant medicinal effects.
- Certain seaweeds possess powerful cancer-fighting agents.
- They are used in organic cosmetics & skin-care products.
- Seaweed Farming is the practice of cultivating and harvesting seaweed.
- Seaweeds are abundant along the Tamil Nadu and Gujarat coasts and around Lakshadweep and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Seaweed Mission aims to commercialize seaweed farming and processing for value addition.
- It also aims to increase cultivation along India’s 7,500-kilometer coastline.