Greater Scaup : Species Of Duck Sighted In Loktak Lake
A rare species of duck, Greater Scaup, was recently sighted in Loktak lake in Manipur’s Bishnupur district after a gap of over 90 years.
- The Greater scaup is locally known as Sadangman.
- It is a medium-sized diving duck species that belongs to the family of Anatidae.
- The greater scaup species is distributed in Asia, Europe, the United States and Canada. It is a rare visitor to the Indian Subcontinent.
- The breeding scaup inhabits shallow, freshwater lakes, pools and rivers with grassy shorelines.
- The greater scaup species are highly migratory, breeding near arctic regions and migrating to the warmer south from August onwards.
- Conservation status: IUCN Red List: Least concern