Hindi Diwas 2023:
Hindi Diwas, celebrated annually on 14th September, holds immense historical significance as it commemorates the adoption of Hindi as one of India’s official languages.
- Its roots extend back to the early days of India’s struggle for independence when a group of committed Hindi scholars and activists formed the Hindi Sahitya Sammelan (Hindi Literary Conference) in 1918 to champion Hindi as a national language.
- The turning point arrived on 14th September, 1949, when the Constituent Assembly of India officially embraced Hindi as the nation’s official language, envisioning it as a unifying element among India’s diverse linguistic and cultural regions.
- Hindi stands as one of the two official languages of the Union government along with English and is one of the 22 scheduled languages of India.
- World Hindi Day is observed on 10 January.
- It commemorates the anniversary of the first World Hindi Conference held in Nagpur on 10th January, 1975.