International Day Of Sign Languages 2023:
On the occasion of International Day of Sign Languages (23rd September), the Government of India has introduced several initiatives to improve communication and accessibility for the hearing-impaired.
- Initiatives for the hearing-impaired include online Indian Sign Language (ISL) courses, introduction of 267 signs for financial terms in ISL, a comprehensive ISL dictionary, tailored courses for special schools, and a WhatsApp-based video relay service for improved communication.
- International Day of Sign Languages is an annual event that promotes the linguistic and cultural diversity of deaf communities around the world.
- In 2017, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 23rd September as the official day to celebrate the International Day of Sign Languages.
- It is an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of sign languages in the lives of deaf communities and the need to protect them as an essential part of human diversity.
- Millions of people around the world use sign language as their primary means of communication.
- They are complex visual-gestural communication systems with their own grammar and syntax.
- Theme of 2023: A World Where Deaf People Can Sign Anywhere.