A Chinese spacecraft named Tianwen-1 has successfully entered orbit around Mars on February 10, 2021.
- The probe entered the MARS Orbit after making the journey of 6 and a half months from the Earth.
- This mission is China’s first independent mission on the red planet.
- After reaching near the orbit, the robotic probe initiated and completed its 15-minute burn of the thrusters.
- The burning of the thrusters slowed down the speed of the spacecraft so that it could be captured by the gravity pull of the MARS.
The objective of the mission
- Tianwen-1 mission will attempt to send a landing capsule that is carrying a 240-kilogram rover in a rapid seven-minute descent.
- The rover will be sent to the northern hemisphere of Mars called Utopia Planitia.
- After the rover is landed successfully, the solar-powered rover will be exploring the Martian surface for 90 days.
- The rover will study the soil and study if any signs of ancient life, is present there.
- It would also trace the sub-surface water and ice using the ground-penetrating radar.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking