International Electrotechnical Commission:
India wins the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Vice Presidency and Strategic Management Board (SMB) Chair for the 2023-25 term.
- IEC is an international standard setting body that publishes international Standards for all electrical, electronic and related technologies.
- These are known collectively as “electrotechnology”.
- It is a global, not-for-profit membership organization that brings together 173 countries and coordinates the work of 20 000 experts globally.
- It was founded in London and held its first meeting on 26 and 27 June 1906.
- IEC Standards provide instructions, guidelines, rules or definitions that are then used to design, manufacture, install, test and certify, maintain and repair electrical and electronic devices and systems.
- Standardization Management Board (SMB) is an apex governance body of IEC responsible for technical policy matters.