Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi recently launched Mission DefSpace in Gandhinagar.
- The space programme aims to develop innovative solutions for the Defence Forces through industry & startups.
- Importantly, the initiative will prepare India for future possibilities in space domain and will also increase the country’s preparation further.
- Under Mission DefSpace, 75 challenges are being opened to get innovative solutions, based on the defence requirements in the space domain.
- The programme will focus on various challenges in this area that have been reviewed and identified by the three defence services.
- There are more than 60 developing countries with whom India is sharing its space science. Many African countries and many other small countries are benefiting from this.
- The ‘South Asia satellite’ is an effective example of this. By next year, ten ASEAN countries will also get real-time access to India’s satellite data.