Mucormycosis: An Epidemic Under Epidemic Diseases Act 1897:
The Union government has asked the States to declare mucormycosis, the fungal infection being reported in COVID-19 patients, an epidemic under the Epidemic Diseases Act 1897.
- Declaring the black fungus infection seen in COVID-19 patients an epidemic would lead to health facilities screening for it and reporting all such cases to the government.
- Rajasthan, Telangana, and Tamil Nadu have declared it an epidemic.
- Mucormycosis or black fungus is a complication caused by a fungal infection.
- People catch mucormycosis by coming in contact with the fungal spores in the environment.
- The disease is being detected among patients who are recovering or have recovered from covid-19.