Russia plans to form a division of special-purpose submarines that will carry Poseidon torpedoes as part of the country’s Pacific Fleet by the end of 2024.
- Poseidon Torpedo is a massive Russian, nuclear-powered autonomous torpedo armed with a nuclear warhead built to strike enemy coastal targets from great distances.
- It is about 65 feet long and 6.5 feet wide, making it the largest torpedo ever deployed.
- It can also reach speeds of up to 70 knots, or 80 miles per hour.
- It is reportedly equipped with a 2-megaton thermonuclear warhead.
- The use of nuclear power gives it nearly unlimited range.
- It is unreachable due to its working depth—possibly 1,000 meters (3,300 feet).