Protest Against Bokang-Baling Hydroelectric Project:
Residents of Pithoragarh district’s Dharchula town recently staged a protest against the proposed Bokang-Baling Hydroelectric Project.
- Bokang-Baling Hydroelectric Project is a proposed hydroelectric project on river Dhauliganga in the Pithoragarh district in Uttarakhand.
- It has a proposed installed capacity of 165 MW.
- The project involves the construction of a concrete gravity dam of 65 m from river bed level and an underground Power House.
- The project is being implemented by THDC India Limited.THDC India Limited (Formerly Tehri Hydro Development Corporation Limited) is a company jointly owned by the Government of India and the Government of Uttar Pradesh.
- It rises in the vicinity of the Niti Passin the border regions between Garhwal region of Uttarakhand and southwestern Tibet.
- It is one of the important tributaries of Alaknanda, the other being the Nandakini, Pindar, Mandakini, and Bhagirathi.
- It meets the Alaknanda River(the major source stream of the Ganges river) at Vishnuprayag in Uttarakhand.
- The length of this river is about 94 km.