Punganur cows : Unique Dwarf Breed
Prime Minister Narendra Modi fed Punganur cows at his residence on Makar Sankranti. Punganur is a unique dwarf breed native to Andhra Pradesh, considered the shortest-humped cattle globally.
- The Punganur cow is native to Punganur village in Andhra Pradesh’s Chittoor district.
- It is known for its small size, standing at 70-90 cm tall and weighing approximately 115-200 kg.
- The breed is adapted to hot and dry climates.
- Recognizing the importance of preserving this indigenous breed, the Andhra Pradesh government has initiated “Mission Punganur” to revive and conserve the Punganur cow.
- Punganur cows are now found not only in Andhra Pradesh but also in Telangana, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu.