Rani Velu Nachiyar : Birth Anniversary
The Prime Minister of India paid tributes to Rani Velu Nachiyar on her birth anniversary.
- Rani Velu Nachiyar was born on January 3, 1730, in Ramanathapuram, Tamil Nadu, India.
- She was the first queen to have ever actively opposed British rule and fought against colonial rulers many years before the Sepoy Mutiny.
- She was trained in war to match weapons usage, martial arts like Valari, Silambam (fighting using the stick), horse riding and archery.
- She was a scholar in many languages and she had proficiency in languages like French, English and Urdu.
- She married the king of Sivagangai named Muthuvaduganathaperiya Udaiyathevar, with whom she had a daughter.
- When her husband was killed by British soldiers, she was drawn into battle.
- War against the British: In collaboration with Hyder Ali and Gopala Nayaker, she waged a war against the British and emerged victoriously
- She granted powers to the Marudu brothers to administer the country in 1780.