Vaccine For Shingles Disease:
GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals (GSK India) announced the much-awaited launch of its globally top-selling shingles vaccine Shingrix in India.
- Shingles disease is caused by the varicella-zoster virus the same virus that causes chickenpox.
- It can occur anywhere in the human body.
- It typically looks like a single stripe of blisters that wraps around the left side or the right side of your torso.
- It is not contagious means it can’t be spread from one person to another.
- The risk of shingles goes up as you get older and it is most common in people over age 50.
- Symptoms: Pain, burning, tingling sensitivity to touch etc.
- There is a vaccine called Shingrix available which helps in preventing shingles and its complications.
- Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is the most common complication of shingles. It causes severe pain in the areas where you had the shingles rash.
- Vision loss can happen if shingles affect the eyes. It may be temporary or permanent.
- Hearing or balance problems are possible if you have shingles within or near your ear.