Webinar On Cage Aquaculture In Reservoir: Sleeping Giants
The Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying organised a webinar on “Cage aquaculture in Reservoir: Sleeping Giants” as a part of “Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav”.
- Department of Fisheries, GOI earmarked the investment targets for promoting cage aquaculture under flagship scheme Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY).
- Cage aquaculture involves the growing of fishes in existing water resources while being enclosed in a net cage which allows free flow of water.
- It is an aquaculture production system made of a floating frame, net materials and mooring system (with rope, buoy, anchor etc.) with a round or square shaped floating net to hold and culture large numbers of fishes and can be installed in reservoir, river, lake or sea.
- Cage farms are positioned in such a way to utilize natural currents, which provide the fish with oxygen and other appropriate natural conditions.
Factors Causing Cage Culture:
- Factors such as increasing consumption of fish, declining stocks of wild fishes and poor farm economy have increased interest in fish production in cages.
- Many small or limited resource farmers are looking for alternatives to traditional agricultural crops.
- In view of the high production attainable in the cage culture system, it can play a significant role in increasing the overall fish production in India.