What Is a Recce Troop?:
One soldier died and more than three dozen had to be hospitalised for heat stroke symptoms after taking part in a Corps Level Recce Troop Competition organised by the Army at the Mamum Military Station near Pathankot a week back.
- The Mamun-based Infantry Division of the Army had organised a recce troop competition in which all armoured and mechanised units of the Corps were taking part.
- The Division falls under Army’s 9 Corps, which is headquartered in Yol, a cantonment town in Kangra district in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.
- The competition was being held to judge the skills and fitness of the soldiers who form part of the recce troop in every armoured regiment and mechanised infantry battalion.
What is a recce troop?
- Reconnaissance or recce troop is a section level sub unit in every armoured regiment and mechanised infantry battalion of the Army.
- A section means that it comprises approximately one officer and 30 jawans.
- The recce troop is supposed to be the eyes and ears of the unit as well as the higher formations as, in a war, they are supposed to operate ahead of the main unit and keep an eye on the activities of the enemy.
- The recce troop is equipped with light four-wheeled vehicles and also have specialised equipment, which can help keep a tab on the enemy forces in the area.