Chair Of Excellence: General Bipin Rawat
On the eve of the 65th birthday of late Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Bipin Rawat, the Indian Army has instituted a Chair of Excellence in his memory at the United Service Institution of India (USI).
- The formal announcement was made by Gen. Manoj Naravane, Chief of Army Staff and Officiating Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee, at a ceremony organised at South Block.
- The aim of the proposed Chair of Excellence will be to conduct research on strategic issues of significance pertaining to the armed forces.
- The Chair will be open to veterans of the three Services and civilians having expertise in the field of national security and military affairs.
- Naravane also handed over a cheque for ₹5 lakh to Maj. Gen. B.K. Sharma (retd), Director, USI, which will be paid as honorarium to the nominated Chair of Excellence.
- United Service Institution of India (USI) is a national security and defence services think tank based in New Delhi.
- It was founded in 1870 by a soldier scholar, Colonel (later Major General) Sir Charles MacGregor.