The US Military recently posted pictures of a powerful bomb called the GBU-57, designed to penetrate deep into the earth and destroy underground facilities.
- It is known as the “Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP)”.
- It is a GPS-guided, earth-penetrating strike weapon for use against hard and deeply buried targets.
- MOP is one of the most powerful non-nuclear bombs in the world.
- It is manufactured by Boeingand used by the United States Air Force.
- It is used to destroy deeply entrenched enemy bunkers such as those concealing a supply of weapons of mass destruction (WMD).
- The bomb is 20.5 feet long with a diameter of 31.5 inches.
- Weight: 14,000 kg
- The warhead case is made from a special high-performance steel alloy that can reportedly penetrate up to 200 feet of concrete.