P-8I Patrol Aircraft:
The US State Department has approved the sale of six P-8I patrol aircraft and related equipment to India.
- The six aircraft will come fitted with encrypted systems, as India has signed the Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) with the US.
- The Defence Acquisition Council approved the procurement of the aircraft in 2019.
About the P-8I Aircraft:
- It is a long-range maritime reconnaissance and Anti-Submarine Warfare Aircraft.
- It is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon aircraft that Boeing company developed as a replacement for the US Navy’s aging P-3 fleet.
- With a maximum speed of 907 kmph and an operating range of over 1,200 nautical miles, the P-8Is detect threats and neutralize them if required, far before they come anywhere near Indian shores.
- Indian Navy became the first international customer for the P-8 aircraft in 2009.