President Of The 76th Session Of The United Nations (UN) General Assembly (GA) For 2021-22.:
The Maldives’ Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid was elected the President of the 76th session of the United Nations (UN) General Assembly (GA) for 2021-22.
- The win was welcomed by India as Indian diplomats had been helping the Maldives and India expects close cooperation with Maldives at the UN.
- However, the Maldives has made no decision on opening an Indian consulate in its southern Addu Atoll even as the Indian Cabinet cleared a proposal for it.
President of UNGA:
- This is a post held on an annual basis, rotated amongst various regional groupings. The 76th session (2021-22) is the turn of the Asia-Pacific group.
- This is the first time Maldives will be occupying the office of the President of UNGA.The
- Maldives also sees it as a win for the 52-member Small Island Developing States (SIDS), which are battling climate change vulnerability and other developmental challenges.
- Addu Atoll, also known as Seenu Atoll, is the southernmost atoll of the Maldives.
- Apart from its strategic location in the Indian Ocean, Addu is the second-largest city in the archipelago, home to over 30,000 people.
- India approved the opening of a new consulate in the Maldivian city of Addu, in reflection of the importance, India attaches to its ties with the strategically located island nation.
- India’s decision to expand its diplomatic presence in the Maldives comes amid China’s consistent efforts to increase its influence in the island nation.
- Also, Indian rationale for the consulate was to help Addu residents with speedy visa services.