Prohibition Of Child Marriage (Amendment) Bill, 2021:
Lok Sabha has sent the Prohibition of Child Marriage (Amendment) Bill, 2021 which seeks to raise the age of marriage for women to 21 to a standing committee.
- The age of marriage should be uniformly applicable to all religions, caste, creed, overriding any custom or law that seeks to discriminate against women.
The Bill would also amend:
- The Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1972.
- The Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1936.
- The Muslim Personal Law (Shariat) Application Act, 1937.
- The Special Marriage Act, 1954.
- The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.
- The Foreign Marriage Act, 1956.