Waghai-Bilimora Heritage Line:
The Western Railway has decided to not stop the services of three trains, including the 107-year-old narrow gauge heritage train between Vaghai and Bilimora, in Gujarat permanently.
- The other two narrow gauge trains run between Miyagam, Choranda and Malsar, and Choranda junction and Moti Karal.
- In rail transport, track gauge or track gage is the spacing of the rails on a railway track.
- The Ministry of Railways, previously issued a letter to the Western Railway ordering permanent closure of 11 “uneconomic branch lines” and narrow gauge sections of the Western Railway, including three from Gujarat.
About the Waghai-Billimora Train:
- It started in 1913, was a remnant of the Gaekwad dynasty who ruled the princely state of Baroda. Tribal people from the interior commute by this train regularly.
- The train covers a distance of 63 kilometers.
- At the instance of Gaekwad rulers, the British laid railway tracks and it was operated by Gaekwad Baroda State Railway (GBSR) owned by Sayajirao Gaekwad III.
- The Gaekwad jurisdiction was spread across parts of Saurashtra, Mehsana in north Gujarat, and Bilimora in South Gujarat.
- The founder of the dynasty was Damaji I who had risen to power by 1740. The last Gaekwar, Sayaji Rao III, died in 1939.
- For about 24 years the train was run by a steam engine, which was replaced by a diesel engine in 1937.
- In 1994, the original steam engine was put on display at Churchgate Heritage Gallery in Mumbai.
- This was much before the Western Railway came into existence in 1951 with the merger of the Bombay, Baroda & Central India Railway, the Saurashtra, Rajputana, and Jaipur state Railways.
- The 63-km Billimora-Vaghai and the 19-km Choranda-Moti Karal routes are among those five routes the Indian Railways had proposed to be preserved as “industrial heritage” in 2018.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking